Let me start by saying this: I was reading this reddit comment regarding periods/pads - oh, yes we're going there - and I thought to myself, "Girl Code," that is such an amazing attitude to teach a freaking 11-year-old. The world needs more kids (& parents) like this! Teaching people to be like - I'm not just gonna take care of myself, if someone else needs help, I'm going to be prepared to take care of them, too. "Do unto others," and what not. How would I feel if I was in a bind in middle school? which is such a difficult time. And potentially dealing with an embarrassing situation.
I digress, but this post is not about periods or maxi pads. Instead, this post is about looking out for others because women deserve better. I'll have to expand on that later.
disclaimer: this deleted reddit account is a suspected shill. I only say this because - as soon as I wrote on bratabase.com that a suspected shill account admitting to being paid 19K/year and work-for-home job, this suspected shill account was immediately deleted! Hah! Huge ADMISSION OF GUILT in my book. (or perhaps she got fired for writing her salary and the fact that she had a WFH job - when I had already picked her out as an online shill).
Having been a part of bra forums for several years now, I began to notice a pattern. The same brands getting recommended over & over again. Also, the same stores recommended even when the recommendations are not practical at all (for example: recommending a store in another country when there are better stores with returns in the U.S.). What does the shill care if you waste your time and/or money?
Out of frustration for some things that were said in online forums, I started a private forum to discuss shill accounts. Soon afterwards, I was able to identify 14 suspected shill accounts (I have no idea how many people that is though) that post on various reddit forums (not just one forum, like r/ABraThatFits, but they actually travel to many bra, fashion, health, and women's forums - anywhere to encourage a sale of "their brands."
Don't get me wrong: I think the store(s) and brand(s) they promote are fine. The work of the bra sales shill passes into a gray area morally, that's my problem, especially since the bra sales shills seem to go to extenuating circumstances to hide the fact they are shills. For example, putting down other brands so that one doesn't expect they are bra sales shills.
In the course of starting a private forum to discuss bra sales shills, I started to notice a pattern. I'm only going to name names with an acct that got tagged for spam, and another deleted account (the first acct has been tagged for spam for many months - I'm assuming she is not going to get her account back, that's why I'm going to name her username since I guess she's not using it anymore). The 2nd account is a very interesting account, because it is a newer bra sales shill acct - she was only active since March. But, in reading through some of her post history, I noticed that she said she WFH and makes 19K/year usd. So I was like, "Wow, she even admitted her salary and that she works for home and everything."
Do I think these are real people? I'm assuming so. Soon to be replaced by ChatGPT I suppose.
What are their salaries? The person who deleted her acct (or had her acct deleted, or got fired or whatever) stated her salary as 19K/year (& work-from-home job) though she was also a college student.
What are the kind of people they hire? Some of the bra sales shills are quite forthcoming about their profession. Most of the bra sales shills do this part-time. A couple have other jobs, or even a full-time job. or at least that's what they write on their reddit online profile!
B/c it's only 19K/year, I'm assuming this is part-time - without benefits - kind of work. Though I think this would be an extremely easy job -- think about all of us who answer bra questions online for free!! Because we think it's fun (Myself included!) Bras are fun and interesting.
The downside is; I do believe being an online bra sales shill does fall into a moral gray area. They don't give the best financial advice b/c they want people to buy from the stores that sponsor them. They encourage people to keep going with a brand (the ones that sponsor them), even when it clearly will not work for them. As an outsider, I've observed: it's clear to me that the brand won't work for them, but they just keep going - encouraging them to try another style in the same brand (even when the person insists they want to try a different brand). They're aggressive, that's the problem.
People think that going online is a "safe space" and they don't know that they're being aggressively shilled to purchase a few different brands from a few different stores. Though many of the bra sales shills do sometimes give good advice, the morally correct thing to do would be: admit they work for a lingerie marketing to plug a few different brands and few different stores, that's it. (When there are 1,000s of bra brands, 100s of stores to choose from online).
I have nothing against the brands they plug, or the stores (the stores are not always the most financially sound place to buy things, but I have nothing personal against the stores they plug). The brands are okay as well it's just that - women deserve to know that they're being "sold" something. Women deserve to know that the advice has a little bit of a slant so they can make a sound judgement.
On a side note, Reddit is *not supposed* to be used for capitalistic pursuits. Reddit is supposed to *build community.*
Okay, so here is my issue, I was going through an acct that I had identified as a bra sales shill. It was the account https://www.reddit.com/user/OrganicMorleySmoker Here are some of her typical responses that I had taken screenshots of before she deleted her account. At the time two months ago, I was just discovering the typical patterns of the bra sales shills that permeate the reddit forums - not just one forum like A Bra That Fits, they answer on many reddit forums.
To save time, I'm just going to cut & paste what I wrote on a private discussion forum, not on bratabase or any other forum.
She follows the pattern of: they [the shills accts] only promote three wired bra companies 1) Wacoal-Eveden 2) Panache 3) Bravissimo - (which is kind of misleading b/c Bravissimo sells BOTH Wacoal-Eveden brands and Panache brands, and their own brands).
Soooo, basically just three underwired bra brands.
And for unwired bras, it's only Molke they promote lately. Before it was both Molke and Cosabella. (Lol, Cosabella must've pulled their marketing dollars, 'cause they very strongly promoted Cosabella).
Edit: the stores they promote: Bare Necessities (really bad reviews, below) and BraStop, those two stores.and Bravissimo.
As far as store, the shills accts promote Bare Necessities and put HerRoom down, even though HerRoom has better overall reviews. Why?? https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/barenecessities.com
wow, her enthusiasm for the website Bare Necessities is out of control: hopefully, you can see the "shill lingo" from these couple of posts. The bra sales shills recommend these three stores: Bare Necessities, BraStop, and Bravissimo, and these three brands - Wacoal-Evenden (Freya, Elomi, Goddess, Fantasie, et. all), Panache, and Bravissimo. There are 1,000 of bra brands. Furthermore, I did a post and compared BraStop to Belle-Lingerie (another UK bra store) and Belle-Lingerie was better in prices and selection. Also, I did another post comparing Belle Lingerie and Bare Necessities, and again Belle Lingerie was better! If they weren't shills, why don't they recommend all these stores equally? 'Ya know. "Bare Necessities is a neat place to find bras of all sizes." Well, so is Belle Lingerie, Breakoutbras, so many other stores. The bra sales shills are there just to plug a few stores they're paid to promote, not necessarily the best store (or the best brands for that person). Note that she actually threw in a brand they're not sponsored by (SheFit); all the bra sales shill accts do this from time to time, they don't want to get tagged as "spam" or be too obvious.














No comments:
Post a Comment